Python handles globals badly.

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 12 00:45:24 EDT 2015

On 12/09/2015 05:34, Random832 wrote:
> Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> I think pointer is even worse because of its connection with C and
>> hence cPython.  What is wrong with object if that is the only thing
>> Python knows about?
>
> Because the object is the *thing the arrow points at*. You don't have
> two objects when store the same object in two variables (names, list
> slots, whatever), but you do have two pointers.
>
> And they *are* pointers in cPython - so that "connection" is a feature,
> not a bug.

How do I access these pointers?  Is there a builtin called pointer()
that's analogous to id()?  I'll ask again, where do pointers come into
the Jython and IronPython models?  How do I access their pointers, the
same builtin?  The fact that the underlying implementation language has
some terminology that it uses, has no bearing on the actual language
being implemented.  This seems to me rather important, or have I missed
something here?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence