RPI.GPIO Help

John McKenzie davros at bellaliant.net
Fri Sep 11 14:24:53 EDT 2015

 Hello.

 Thanks to the help of people here and in other newsgroups I seem to have
something working doing the basics. (Buttons work, colours light up
appropriately.)

 When I followed MRAB's instructions and read about scopes of variables
that solved my most recent problem, but it introduced a bug. I think I
fixed the bug but after all my stupid mistakes and forgetfulness that
seems too good to be true. I expect there is a better, more elegant, or
more Pythonic way to do what I did so please feel free to share on the
subject.

 I had a problem where if I pressed a button while the LEDs were already
flashing the colour of that button it would block a new colour from
starting when I pressed a new button. So if the LED strip was red and I
pressed the red button again nothing would happen when I pressed the blue
or yellow button. Similar problem for the other two buttons.

 So inside my callbacks I added this code:

   if colour == 1:
        pass
    elif colour == 2 or 3:
        colour = 1

 Now it seems OK from my limited testing.

 Here is the code that has buttons and colours working and includes my
bug fix:

import atexit
import time
from blinkstick import blinkstick
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO

led = blinkstick.find_first()
colour = 0
time_red = 0
time_yellow = 0
time_blue = 0
timestamp = time.strftime("%H:%M:%S")

GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
GPIO.setup(22, GPIO.IN, pull_up_down=GPIO.PUD_UP)
GPIO.setup(23, GPIO.IN, pull_up_down=GPIO.PUD_UP)
GPIO.setup(24, GPIO.IN, pull_up_down=GPIO.PUD_UP)

def red_button(channel):
    global colour
    if colour == 1:
        pass
    elif colour == 2 or 3:
        colour = 1
        while colour == 1:
            led.pulse(red=255, green=0, blue=0, repeats=1, duration=2000,
steps=50)
def yellow_button(channel):
    global colour
    if colour == 2:
        pass
    elif colour == 1 or 3:
        colour = 2
        while colour == 2:
            led.pulse(red=255, green=96, blue=0, repeats=1,
duration=2000, steps=50)
def blue_button(channel):
    global colour
    if colour == 3:
        pass
    elif colour == 1 or 2:
        colour = 3
        while colour == 3:
            led.pulse(red=0, green=0, blue=255, repeats=1, duration=2000,
steps=50)

GPIO.add_event_detect(22, GPIO.FALLING, callback=red_button,
bouncetime=200)
GPIO.add_event_detect(23, GPIO.FALLING, callback=yellow_button,
bouncetime=200)
GPIO.add_event_detect(24, GPIO.FALLING, callback=blue_button,
bouncetime=200)

while True:
    if colour == 1:
        time_red += 1
    elif colour == 2:
        time_yellow += 1
    elif colour == 3:
        time_blue += 1

    time.sleep(0.1)

def exit_handler():
    print "\033[0;41;37mRed Team:\033[0m ", time_red
    print "\033[0;43;30mYellow Time:\033[0m ", time_yellow
    print "\033[0;44;37mBlue Time:\033[0m ", time_blue
    flog = open("flag1.log", "a")
    flog.write(timestamp + "\n" + "Red Team: " + str(time_red) + "\n" +
"Yellow Team: " + str(time_yellow) + "\n" + "Blue Team: " + str
(time_blue) + "\n")
    flog.close()
    led.set_color(name="black")
atexit.register(exit_handler)
GPIO.cleanup()

 I think I am OK GPIO wise now, although always happy to improve the code
and in the long term I want to do so.

 Will start new threads for more straight forward Python questions like
help with saving a log of the results, timing, etc.

 Thanks for your help, everyone.