Python handles globals badly.

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 00:59:36 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> etc. The TAB *key* is a command that makes emacs indent with a mix of
> spaces and TABs.

I don't care how you key them in. If your tab key moves you to the
next position, that's good. If you convert a sequence of N spaces into
a tab character, though, that's bad, because then your file ends up
with a mix, and an inconsistent one. To make emacs safe for use with
Python code, you'll need to reconfigure it so the tab key inserts
either a tab character or spaces, but never switches between them.

Personally, I like to use tab characters for indentation. You can
choose how many pixels or ems or ens or spaces the actual visual shift
is, and if I disagree with your choice, it won't affect anything. As
long as tabs are used _exclusively_, Python won't be bothered by it
either.

ChrisA