Python handles globals badly.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Sep 10 08:18:23 EDT 2015

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:18 am, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 5:14 AM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
>> In a message of Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:00:22 +1000, Chris Angelico writes:
>>>To get started, you need some other sort of kick.
>>
>> Having Brian Kernighan write a really nice book about you, helps a lot.
>
> It kinda does. And of course, it also helps to have a time machine, so
> you can launch your language when there are less languages around.
> Today, you compete for attention with myriad languages that simply
> didn't exist when C was introduced to an unsuspecting world.

I don't think that's quite right. I think, if anything, there were more
languages in the 1970s than now, it's just that they tended to be
proprietary, maybe only running on a single vendor's machine. But even if
I'm mistaken, I think that there is near-universal agreement that the
single biggest factor in C's popularity and growth during the 1970s and 80s
is that it was tied so intimately to Unix, and Unix was taking over from
mainframes, VAX, etc.

--
Steven