Python handles globals badly.

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Sep 10 03:49:07 EDT 2015

Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be>:

> Op 09-09-15 om 19:55 schreef Steven D'Aprano:
>> In fairness to the C creators, I'm sure that nobody back in the early
>> seventies imagined that malware and security vulnerabilities would be
>> as widespread as they have become. But still, the fundamental
>> decisions made by C are lousy. Assignment is an expression?
>
> What is wrong with that?

C is an extremely strong language. However, I also think they made some
slightly regrettable choices, some of which later standards have
alleviated. One of my main issues with C has been the intentional
confusion between arrays and pointers. Also, the type notation is
clearly inferior to that of Pascal.

The greatest blessing C has bestowed upon programmers is the void
pointer. While C++ programmers (among others) have built a ridiculous
cathedral (templates) to capture the same universal notion, C
programmers just shrug their shoulders and store the reference in a void
pointer variable.

Marko