PIP does not appear to handle diacritics correctly.

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed Sep 9 16:23:52 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 15:59, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 09/09/2015 08:59, Laszlo Lebrun via Python-list wrote:
> > Yes, you are right, let me append the message.
> > Just after a fresh install of Python with PIP on Windows.
> > Whenever I start PIP, I get:
> > "Fatal error in launcher: Unable to create process using '"C:\Users
> > \BürgerGegenFluglärm\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32
> > \python.exe"  "C:\Users\B³rgerGegenFluglõrm\AppData\Local\Programs\Python
> > \Python35-32\Scripts\pip.exe" '"
> >
> > Where the correct path is "C:\Users\BürgerGegenFluglärm\AppData..."
>

> Well on my Win8.1 machine I created a local user with the name you give
> and did a fresh install of the very latest Python 3.5rc. I installed
> from the 32-bit web installer and the only variation from the defaults
> was to add Python to the PATH (the last checkbox on the first page of
> the wizard).

Did you install Python _under_ the user directory? If the programs it's
trying to launch are in C:\Python35 instead of
C:\Users\BürgerGegenFluglärm the bug won't show up.

I've never actually seen an "AppData\Local\Programs\Python" directory.
Is this an ActiveState thing? Is there an "Install just for me" option
in the installer that will choose a different default install location?

> It all installed without issue and I was able to do "pip --version" from
> a command prompt to see that it had installed pip 7.1.something.
>
> Now this is on my standard dev machine, ie not a virgin VM, and it's 8.1
> rather than Win7, but it's not clear why either of those would make a
> difference.
>
> The standard codepage for console processes appears to be 850.

The strings shown above are, respectively, the name as UTF-8
reinterpreted as 850, and the name as 1252 reinterpreted as 850
(Incidentally, the latter will appear as "BⁿrgerGegenFluglΣrm" for US
users if it is reinterpreted as 437 instead). It's possible that one or
both may be caused partially by issues with how the error message was
printed.