Python handles globals badly.

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed Sep 9 14:59:20 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 13:55, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> In fairness to the C creators, I'm sure that nobody back in the early
> seventies imagined that malware and security vulnerabilities would be as
> widespread as they have become. But still, the fundamental decisions made
> by C are lousy. Assignment is an expression?

Whoa, hold on. The problem with C assignment isn't that it's an
expression, it's that it's spelled "=" and can be used in contexts where
one would normally do an equality comparison.

In some languages (Lisp/Scheme/etc come to mind), *everything* is an
expression. But assignment is spelled with, generally, some variant of
"set" [setq, set!, etc].