Python handles globals badly.

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 12:46:37 EDT 2015

On 09/09/2015 16:04, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 09-09-15 om 05:27 schreef Steven D'Aprano:
>
>> In the case of case/switch, there is no consensus on what the statement
>> should do, how it should work, what purpose it has, or what syntax it
>> should use. Rather than "there's no alternative to a case statement", the
>> situation was more like "there are many good alternatives to the various
>> different case statements people want".
>
> Since when does Guido need a consensus? Look the developers have only limited
> time, and they get to choose what they consider a priority and what they don't.
> And if they think other things have higher priority, fine by me. But don't
> come with, no support/consensus with the users, because if the dev-team thinks
> something is a good idea, they'll implement it without much consideration for
> support/consensus among the users.

A number of recent PEPs have been given delegated authority, so someone
other than Guido makes the final decision as to whether to accept or
reject it. I can only suggest you don't follow some of the intense wars
of words that go on on python-dev, or even python-ideas, as the part
about this dev-team simply overriding users is nonsense.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence