PIP does not appear to handle diacritics correctly.

Wolfgang Maier wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Sep 9 12:16:02 EDT 2015

On 09.09.2015 10:23, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Laszlo Lebrun via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>> Whenever I start PIP, I get:
>> "Fatal error in launcher: Unable to create process using '"C:\Users
>> \BürgerGegenFluglärm\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32
>> \python.exe"  "C:\Users\B³rgerGegenFluglõrm\AppData\Local\Programs\Python
>> \Python35-32\Scripts\pip.exe" '"
>>
>> Where the correct path is "C:\Users\BürgerGegenFluglärm\AppData..."
>>
>> The funny thing is that the message mentions the path twice, with
>> different wrong codings.
>> :-(

I may be wrong, but isn't the error message suggesting that this is a
bug in the py launcher instead of in pip?
If I remember a post from a recent thread correctly, then pip.exe is
just a script using the launcher.
If that's true, shouldn't the recommended:

python -m pip

be a workaround?

I might be wrong, but it's worth a try.
Best,