python---configure file

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Sep 8 05:30:12 EDT 2015

In a message of Tue, 08 Sep 2015 10:00:26 +0800, "chenchao at inhand.com.cn" write
s:

>hi:
>    I download the python2.7.10 package and execute cmd: ./configure
>--help.It is messages as follow:
>
>        Optional Packages:
>--with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
>--without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
>   --with-universal-archs=ARCH
>                           select architectures for universal build
>("32-bit",
>                           "64-bit", "3-way", "intel" or "all")
>   --with-framework-name=FRAMEWORK
>                           specify an alternate name of the framework built
>                           with --enable-framework
>--with(out)-ensurepip=[=OPTION]
>                           "install" or "upgrade" using bundled pip,
>default is "no"
>  So, I do not know how to use package option: --with-PACKAGE[=ARG].
>It(PACKAGE) means 3rd party packages which I download from website?
>which directory can i put it In python2.7.10 package? For example, I
>download pip7.1.2 from website and I put it in python2.7.10 package dir.
>Therefor, I add compile option --with-pip7.1.2=yes when i compile
>python2.7.10. Does it correct? --with(out)-ensurepip=[=OPTION], how can
>i use it?Is there anybody know that?

The only times I have used with-PACKAGE if you want to
configure a python package, and it wants to use a package or
a stand-alone executable, and you want to override the choice
it would naturally make in finding one of these other packages
it wants to use.  the PACKAGE whose name you replace isn't the
one you are trying to configure, but another one.

i.e.

You are setting up mod_wsgi

you type ./configure

mod_wsgi wants to configure apache, and looks for an executable file
called apxs (or apxs2) which you should have installed wherever your
distro puts such things, so for me it is /usr/bin/apxs.

I don't want to use this one.  I want to use my own special one,
or an older version of apache, or something.

I type:

./configure --with-apxs /the/full/path/name/of/the/apxs/I/want/to/use

So that is what the --with-PACKAGE is for.  I do not think it is something
that is related to your problem at all, but I am not an expert at this.
The distutils-sig
(with the letter 't') is where you find the experts.

Laura