Can anyone help me run python scripts with http.server?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sun Sep 6 08:32:06 EDT 2015

tropical.dude.net at gmail.com wrote:

> I want to use python for web development but I
> could not configure my Apache server to run python
> with the guides I found on the internet.
>
> Can anyone help me configure http.server
> to run python scripts?
>
> I ran the command python -m http.server --cgi to start the http server,
> and if I put index.html, I will see the page but if I use
> index.py, it doesn't show the page, I can only see the
> directory listing of the files and when I click on
> index.py, it doesn't run the code, I can see it just
> like in the editor.
>
> Can anyone help me out?

While in the long run you're better off if you follow Chris' advice here's a minimal cgi script run with http.server
(I'm using curl instead of a browser).

$ mkdir cgi-bin
$ echo -e '#!/usr/bin/env python3\nprint("Content-type:text/plain")\nprint()\nprint("Hello, world")' > cgi-bin/index.py
$ chmod u+x cgi-bin/index.py
$ python3 -m http.server --cgi &
[1] 12345
$ Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8000 ...

$ curl http://localhost:8000/cgi-bin/index.py
127.0.0.1 - - [06/Sep/2015 14:30:23] "GET /cgi-bin/index.py HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Hello, world
$