Porting Python Application to a new linux machine

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 12:49:08 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 2:23 AM, Luca Menegotto
<otlucaDELETE at deleteyahoo.it> wrote:
> Il 03/09/2015 17:53, Nick Sarbicki ha scritto:
>>
>> Is 3.x the default on ubuntu now? My 14.10 is still 2.7. Although it
>> does have python3 installed.
>

> I've checked my Ubuntu 15.04, and the default is 2.7.9.
> There is also Python3 (3.4.3), but sorry, I can't remember if I've manually
> installed it or not.

If you mean that typing "python" runs 2.7, then that's PEP 394 at
work. For compatibility reasons, 'python' doesn't ever run Python 3.
(At least, not any time soon.) The question is more: What comes
installed on a fresh system? Anything can be dragged in as a
dependency of some other package, but a normal Ubuntu desktop
installation won't depend on Python 2 for anything. Or at least,
that's the plan; I don't know whether it's been accomplished yet or
not.

ChrisA