continue vs. pass in this IO reading and writing

kbtyo ahlusar.ahluwalia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:05:31 EDT 2015

Good Morning:

I am experimenting with many exception handling and utilizing continue vs pass. After pouring over a lot of material on SO and other forums I am still unclear as to the difference when setting variables and applying functions within multiple "for" loops.

Specifically, I understand that the general format in the case of pass and using else is the following:

try:
      doSomething()
except Exception:
    pass
else:
      stuffDoneIf()
      TryClauseSucceeds()

However, I am uncertain as to how this executes in a context like this:

import glob
import csv
from collections import OrderedDict

interesting_files = glob.glob("*.csv")

header_saved = False
with open('merged_output_mod.csv','w') as fout:

    for filename in interesting_files:
        print("execution here again")
        with open(filename) as fin:
            try:
                header = next(fin)
                print("Entering Try and Except")
            except:
                StopIteration
                continue
            else:
                if not header_saved:
                    fout.write(header)
                    header_saved = True
                    print("We got here")
                for line in fin:
                    fout.write(line)

My questions are (for some reason my interpreter does not print out any readout):

1. after the exception is raised does the continue return back up to the beginning of the for loop (and the "else" conditional is not even encountered)?

2. How would a pass behave in this situation?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Saran