Most space-efficient way to store log entries

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Oct 28 22:09:42 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-29 00:21, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 28/10/2015 22:53, Tim Chase wrote:
>> If nobody is monitoring the logs, just write them to /dev/null
>> for 100% compression. ;-)
>
> Can you get better than 100% compression if you write them to
> somewhere other than /dev/null/ ?

Well, /dev/null is a device. I don't know what happens if you remove
it and make it a sub-directory.

But sure, you can use the "rm -rf /*" utility to compress your files
and you'll get more space on your disk than you had before you
started.  It works by commenting out all of your drive's
content...note the beginning of the C-style comment token.  You
might also have to run it as root or prefixed with `sudo` because
getting >100% compression requires super-user permissions.

If-you-wipe-your-drive-don't-blame-me'ly yers,

-tkc