Detection of a specific sound

Montana Burr montana.burr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 20:17:28 EDT 2015

I'm looking for a library that will allow Python to listen for the shriek
of a smoke alarm. Once it detects this shriek, it is to notify someone.
Ideally, specificity can be adjusted for the user's environment. For
example, I expect to need moderate specificity as I live in a quiet
neighborhood, but an apartment dweller might need more.

I'm thinking of recording a smoke alarm and having the program try to find
the recorded sound in the stream from the microphone.

Any help is greatly appreciated!