select.poll and ppoll

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Oct 22 01:38:52 EDT 2015

Using Python 2.6, don't hate me.

I have select.poll, but I'm looking for something like ppoll instead. From
the Linux man page:

   ppoll()
       The relationship between poll() and ppoll() is analogous to the
       relationship  between  select(2)  and  pselect(2):  like  pselect(2),
       ppoll()  allows  an  application to safely wait until either a file
       descriptor becomes ready or until a signal is caught.

Technically, *I* don't want this, it's one of my work-colleagues. He says:

"My high-level goal is to run a callback function whenever the alsa mixer
level changes.  The C alsa API provides snd_mixer_elem_set_callback, but the
Python API (import alsaaudio) seems to need me to get poll(2) descriptors"

--
Steve