Defamation

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Oct 21 04:01:34 EDT 2015

On 10/21/2015 2:53 AM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:30:35 +1100, "Steven D'Aprano" writes:
>> On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 01:44 am, Laura Creighton wrote:
>>> No, we are removing them because we want to.
>>
>> Who are "we"? You're not talking about *you and me*.
>
> Anybody who was involved in deciding whether or not to remove them.
> You, me, Ralf, Skip, Tim Golden, Terry, anybody else who is interested.
>
> <snip>
>
>> If that's the case, that would be fantastic, but are you *sure* it works
>> like that? Skip Montanaro made it clear that removing posts from the
>> archives regenerates URLs for the whole month:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/1176035
>
> Yes. And if you read the rest of the thread you will see how it was proposed
> to avoid that problem, with a placeholder, and thereafter Skip wrote a
> script that implemented exactly that.

The moderators intend and try to delete such posts as those under
discussion before they reach the list, by both automatic and manual
filtering.  They are doing pretty well, but some posters have actively
evaded this process (and give us training examples to improve the
process).  I think that posts that would have unquestionably been
deleted before being distributed are fair game to be replaced at least
in our archive after the fact.  I appreciate the people who have done
this cleanup work.

--
Terry Jan Reedy