teacher need help!

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Oct 21 00:41:06 EDT 2015

On 10/19/2015 4:23 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 10/18/2015 9:32 PM, Storey, Geneva wrote:
>
>> Same issue!  See attached.
> --------
>
>>> Can I suggest you find the turtle.py module in c:\windows\system32,
>>> move it
>>> to somewhere more suitable and try the code again?
>
> This seems strange.  C:/Windows/System32 should only be writable by
> admin users, and even they should have no reason to put random files
> there.  It would certainly be bad practice.  There could be a screw-up
> with some systems.  But we need much more info to say much.

See https://bugs.python.org/issue25450

The 3.5 Python and IDLE ICONS do not specify a start directory, so
python start in c:\windows\system32 (even for a 64 bit install --
whether this is correct or a bug, I do not know).  The solution is to
add one.  On Win 7, Start Menu, Python 3.5, right click, Properties,
Shortcut, Start In: add the path to the executable (without
python(w).exe at the end), which is in the Target line.  BE CAREFUL TO
NOT INADVERTENTLY EDIT/DELETE THE TARGET.

For Win 10, hides the property dialogs: no Start Menu, only a deformed
'All apps' list with entries that are NOT icons.  Find Python35,
Python/IDLE. Either click to run or right click, Pin to Taskbar.  Either
way, right click on the taskbar icon, right click again, select
Properties, continue as above.

Fix two for a possible problem.  Go to
<homedir>/.idlerc/recent-files.lst.  Edit and delete any bad entries.  I
cannot tell from the report here or tracker if this is needed.  At
worst, delete the file.

--
Terry Jan Reedy