teacher need help!

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Oct 18 02:17:32 EDT 2015

On 18/10/2015 00:46, Storey, Geneva wrote:
> I am teaching a coding class to students grades 7-12.  We have been
> using Python, which seems to be a perfect fit.  Everything was going
> great until this week when I began teaching turtle.  Suddenly, of the 13
> computers that I have, 3 began giving the message on the above screen
> shot.  This is a problem since I have 24 students!  I have uninstalled
> and reinstalled and done all that I know to do.  Any suggestions?

Geneva,

Thanks for attaching a clear error message. Because of the ways in which
this list is published, some people will only see text, not attachments.
In this case, you could just cut-and-paste the text (which also,
conveniently, includes the Python banner which tells us you're using
32-bit Python 3.5 on Windows).

[
The code is from a file on a user's desktop which does:

import turtle

and the traceback comes from line 2 of a file called turtle.py in
c:\windows\system32 with the code:

t=turtle.Pen()
]

The code seems to be picking up a module called "turtle.py" from the
Windows system directory which is presumably some student's file, saved
to the wrong location, since its second line is "t=turtle.Pen()".

I wouldn't have expected Python to look in system32 for pure-python
modules, but that may well be a side-effect of some changes made for
Python 3.5.

Can I suggest you find the turtle.py module in c:\windows\system32, move
it to somewhere more suitable and try the code again?

TJG