string class variable to sqlite3

andybrookestar at googlemail.com andybrookestar at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 17 15:42:36 EDT 2015

i'm mainly  a PHP man but playing with python recently!

I have a very small class that retrieves data from a very small sqlite3 db called encyclopedia,which has a table called wiki & two field called one & two (yes I know - no imagination, I should get out more!):

import sqlite3
class do:

	def doConn(self):

		self.conn = sqlite3.connect('encyclopedia')
		self.myText = "sulphur"
		print "Opened database successfully";
		cursor = self.conn.execute("SELECT * from wiki WHERE one LIKE 'alan turing' ")
		for row in cursor:
			print "first field = ", row[0]
			print "second filed = ", row[1]
			print "Operation done successfully";
		self.conn.close()

x = do()
x.doConn()

#the above works when I pass a string as an argument such as the above  where I use 'alan turing'
i want to pass an argument as a variable which in PHP could be $somevariable or $this->somevariable which say equal "some string"

I have played around with passing self.myText  instead of 'alan turing' and it doesn't like it- oh Alan I wish you were here!