Installed 3.5.0 successfully on Windows 10, but where is DDLs, Doc, Lib, etc?

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:31:11 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM, John S. James <john2james at gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed 3.5.0 today and it's working fine -- either from the command prompt, or running a .py script.
>
> But the Python 3.4 that was previously installed on the computer had a Python34 folder, which contained DDLs, Doc, include, Lib, and various other folders and files. I haven't found a comparable Python35 folder anywhere. I'd like to find the 3.5 Doc folder at least.
>
> I looked for the installation directory using the command prompt, but at c:\Users\(my name)\ there is no AppData.
>
> Where can I find that folder? Or can I just ignore it for now (and get the documentation elsewhere)?

Python 3.5 changed the default install directory on Windows to better
fit in with other Windows software and to alleviate security concerns
(C:\Python34, for example, is world-writable, whereas C:\Program
Files\Python 3.5\, which is the new default all-users install
location, can only be written to by administrators).  True per-user
installs are now also possible, and install to your user directory.

You can find where Python is installed using Python itself: try `py
-3.5 -c "import sys, os;os.system('explorer ' + sys.prefix)"` at the
Command Prompt, which uses the Python Launcher for Windows to start
Python 3.5 and execute a command to start a Windows Explorer instance
in the directory containing Python.

By the way, C:\Users\(your name)\AppData does exist, but is hidden by
default.  It will tab-complete, though; at Command Prompt do `dir
C:\Users\(your name)\App<tab>`.

You can also get always-up-to-date documentation from
https://docs.python.org/3.5/.  There's also a download page at
https://docs.python.org/3.5/download.html if you prefer a local copy
of one of the various formats available there.

Hope this helps,
--
Zach