Strong typing implementation for Python

Sibylle Koczian nulla.epistola at web.de
Tue Oct 13 14:51:34 EDT 2015

Am 13.10.2015 um 00:10 schrieb Ben Finney:
> Sibylle Koczian <nulla.epistola at web.de> writes:
>
>> Am 12.10.2015 um 13:39 schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
>>> Auto-complete is a fine and useful tool. But if you are crippled as a
>>> programmer without it, well, then you can hardly claim to understand the
>>> language or framework you are programming in if you cannot use it without
>>> an IDE doing half the work for you.
>>>

>> Well ... you're certainly quite right as far as Python and its
>> standard library is concerned. But I don't know who would really want
>> to use .NET without auto-complete and for all I know Java may be just
>> as awful.
>
> Yes, and that is quite compatible with Steven's assertion. The two
> assertions:
>
> * A programmer who feels crippled without auto-complete cannot claim to
>    understand the language or framework they're programming in.
>    (assertion made by Steven)
>
> * The overwhelming majority of .NET and Java programmers would feel
>    crippled without auto-complete. (assertion made by Sibylle)

Not really wanting to do without x isn't the same as feeling crippled
without it.

> can both be true. An obvious resolution is to conclude that the
> overwhelming majority of Java and .NET programmers cannot claim to
> understand those technologies.

I don't think you can measure understanding by the ability and
willingness (!) to type those overlong and yet similar names again and
again in full.

> Python, on the other hand, has the huge advantage that programming in
> even a bare minimal editor is feasible, and editor features that make
> the programmer's life easier are conveniences, not essential to be
> competent in Python.

Only one of its huge advantages. As long as no GUI is necessary ... but
that's another story.

Sibylle