Strong typing implementation for Python

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 16:08:43 EDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 12/10/2015 18:20, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
>> Bartc <bc at freeuk.com>:
>>
>> (Example, calling fib(40) on the example below took 90 seconds on
>>> Python 3.4, 11 seconds with PyPy, but only 1.8 seconds running the
>>> equivalent with FreeBasic:
>>>

>> I don't know what you need fibonacci numbers for,
>>

> It's a benchmark that gives you an idea of how efficient an implementation
> is at doing function calls.
>
> but speed is not the
>> essence of most programming tasks.
>>

> They've been wasting their time with PyPy then! Everyone likes a bit more
> speed. It can mean being able to have a solution all within the same
> language.

​Marko said most.  Not all.  And I would agree with that (I'm a
computational scientist, where we put more emphasis on performance than
almost anywhere else).  A lot of our tools need to be hand-optimized using
either assembler or compiler intrinsics to get the most performance
possible out of the machine, but the *vast* majority of our daily
programming does not require this.  Only the most computationally intensive
kernels do (which themselves are small portions of the main simulation
engines!).

Performance only matters when it allows you to do something that you
otherwise couldn't.  pypy makes some things possible that otherwise wasn't,
but there's a reason why CPython is still used overwhelmingly more than
pypy for scientific computing.​

​All the best,
Jason