Recover data over the network

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 00:07:10 EDT 2015

On 10/09/2015 08:47 PM, Arshpreet Singh wrote:
> On Friday, 9 October 2015 22:51:16 UTC+5:30, Emile van Sebille  wrote:
>
>> without extensive clues as to the nature of the data to be recovered
>> you're not going to get much further with this.
>
> It is mostly /home partition data on disk. Those are user Configuration files.(user accounts, settings etc)
>
>> When I've had to
>> recover data from disks or damaged files is generally been a one-off
>> kind of recovery.
>
> Please enlighten me about one-off kind of data recovery.

So you're not trying to "recover" data as in the server failed and the
file system won't mount, but rather just copy off files.  Correct?

If so, then what you're really trying to do is just copy data off.  This
is what rsync was invented for.  Sure you could hack a script with
Python to run this kind of thing, but really either a one-liner from the
command prompt with rsync, or a simple bash script is all you need.

If you need to recover data from unmountable disks, you'll have to look
into file recovery software.

Good luck.  As Emile says, this isn't really a Python thing.