Python 2 ‘print’, coercing arguments to Unicode

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 6 19:24:23 EDT 2015

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> On 10/6/2015 6:45 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> > How can I convince ‘print’, everywhere throughout a module, that it
> > should coerce its arguments using ‘unicode’?
>
> Use Python 3.  I am only half joking.  Switching to unicode  instead
> of bytes as the default text type fixed numerous bugs all at once.

This is all part of a transition to Python 3, so I am fully on board
with that. It doesn't help address the problem to tell me I want to do
what I'm already in pursuit of doing :-)

--
 \        “Intellectual property is to the 21st century what the slave |
  `\                              trade was to the 16th.” —David Mertz |