Pyarmor, guard your python scripts

Josef Pktd josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 10:35:37 EDT 2015

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 11:27:58 PM UTC-4, Ian wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2015 4:27 PM, "Ben Finney" <ben+p... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>

> > Josef Pktd <josef... at gmail.com> writes:
>

> > > related
>

> > Care to give us a summary of what that is, and describe what you think
>
> > is the relevant point?
>
> Following the link reveals it to be the video of a talk on Python exe compilation from PyCon 2014.
>
> If you're worried about the safety of the link, know that youtu.be is the official URL shortener for YouTube and only leads to YouTube videos.

The talk is by Brandon Rhodes that I found quite refreshing the first time I attended Pycon https://us.pycon.org/2014/schedule/presentation/201/
The approach is building an exe file, but the motivation is the same as here.

About the keys:

Consider it as price discrimination between "cheap" hackers and plain users.

When I was a student I wasn't very reluctant to install cracked versions, but as far as I remember, I haven't installed a cracked version of a program in 15 years or so.
All the application and music on the ipads in my family are legitimate versions, either free minimal functionality versions or purchased on apps store or through itunes.

The python community in general seems to be a lot in favor of SaaS but not much in favor of selling (small) software products. When we got our first ipad, (I'm traditionally a Windows user) I was surprised how large the market for small and larger programs is and the opportunities that it provides for single developers or small groups of developers. In contrast, SaaS requires a much larger setup cost and larger scale.

I pretty much share Jondy Zhao's view.

That doesn't mean it's always a good idea. I have been working for many years on BSD licensed open source software.

Josef