Footnotes in ReST

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 07:57:55 EDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 9:39 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> I need to add a footnote between [2] and [3], but I don't want to have to
> renumber the following 997 footnotes by hand. Is there something I can do,
> within the syntax of ReST itself, to help?

Now that they're all numbered manually? Not sure. But if you know in
advance you're going to have that kind of thing, there are other ways
to do footnotes:

https://hg.python.org/peps/file/tip/pep-0498.txt
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0498/

Otherwise, I'd look at scripting the 997-footnote changes. It
shouldn't be too hard to script - will probably take only twice as
long as doing it manually would have...

ChrisA