Newbie: Designer Looking to Build Graphics Editor (PS/AI)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 2 18:31:56 EDT 2015

On 10/2/2015 12:41 PM, Kenneth L wrote:
> I'm a graphic designer. I'm new to Python. I know html, css, alittle
> actioscript and little javascript. I actually build an iOS using
> Flash. I understand programming concepts I believe.
>
> I'd like to build a Illustrator/Photoshop like program. Why, there
> are some features that I'd like to personally have. Example,
> randomizing the rotation, line height and sizing of text. You have to
> do this manually. It would be cool have a little program that is
> dedicated building logos. Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just
> basic featuring of vector graphics program plus my enhancements.
> Maybe this program could be base and it can export vector and bring
> into Photoshop to add finishing touches.
>
> I heard Python is easy to learn. So my question is Python able to do
> this or connect with libraries? Plus where do I start? I watched
> python tutorials but they don't really show you how to build an
> application. How does one build a graphics program? LOL where do you
> start? How do you draw graphics on the screen?

Python comes with the tkinter package, which interfaces to the tcl/tk
GUI framework.  Tk has a canvas widget that is, I believe, at least
partly vector-based.  In any case, it can output .ps or .eps postscript
files* and with an extension# .svg scalable vector graphics files.

* They may or may not be readable by any other particular app.
# I do not know how to install this, but have read that it exists.

To get an intro to using tkinter, I would start with the beginning
example in the tkinter doc or
http://www.tkdocs.com/  or
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

There are other GUI packages you can download and install.  And the
other suggestions people have given.

--
Terry Jan Reedy