The Nikola project is deprecating Python 2.7 (+2.x/3.x user survey results)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 1 19:59:04 EDT 2015

On 10/1/2015 12:26 PM, Chris Warrick wrote:
> The Nikola developers decided to deprecate Python 2.7 support.
> Starting with v7.7.2, Nikola will display a warning if Python 2.7 is
> used (but it will still be fully supported). In early 2016, Nikola
> v8.0.0 will come out, and that release will not support Python 2.7
> officially.

How sane ;-)

> The decision was made on the basis of a user survey, with 138
> participants. The vast majority of them claimed that they either use
> Python 3 already, or can switch really easily.

 From the survey and description below, 'using Python 3' means having
Python 3 installed, not writing Python 3 code.  Correct?

I must admit that I am surprised that even 7% of those who bothered to
answer would claim that they would refuse to even install Py 3.

 > The main reason for the
> switch was the fact that supporting both requires a lot of extra
> effort, especially because Python 2.7’s Unicode support is abysmal.

2.7 unicode bug-fixing pretty much ended a couple of years ago or so.
Remaining bugs either have or eventually will be closed as fixed in 3.x.

--
Terry Jan Reedy