Check if a given value is out of certain range

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Thu Oct 1 15:41:27 EDT 2015

In <560d8726$0$1602$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com> Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> > But it takes ever-so-slightly more effort to do so.

> Slightly more effort than what alternative? How would you communicate the
> idea of *not* asking for X without using the concept of "not"?

I wasn't commenting directly to the "ask not..." quote; I was referring
upthread to the choice between

    not 0 <= x <= 10

and

    x < 0 or x > 10

Both are of course understandable, but in my opinion, the latter one takes
slightly less effort to grok.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears