The Nikola project is deprecating Python 2.7 (+2.x/3.x user survey results)

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Oct 1 13:02:22 EDT 2015

Chris Warrick schrieb am 01.10.2015 um 18:26:
> The Nikola developers decided to deprecate Python 2.7 support.

I wonder why it took the Nikola project so long to take that decision.
Python 3.3 came out almost exactly three(!) years ago and seems to have all
major features that they would require. Nikola's PyPI page claims support
of Python 3.3 for just about as long, since version 5.4 or so, which means
that all of their dependencies were already available back then.

It's a different thing for *libraries* that Python 2.x users still depend
on, but for an *application* that has all its (necessary) dependencies
available in Python 3.x, I can't see a general reason to keep supporting
both language versions.

Stefan