Caret key quits idle on pt keyboard

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Nov 30 12:30:03 EST 2015

On 11/30/2015 11:13 AM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Tue, 01 Dec 2015 02:57:15 +1100, Chris Angelico writes:
>>>
>>> Is there a known issue with dead keys? From what I can find the
>>> Portuguese keyboard doesn't have a "proper" caret, it has a
>>> circumflex dead key which you can press space or any non-vowel to
>>> get a caret.  Seems to work fine for me though.

Older versions of tcl/tk had problems with some non-ascii keyboards.
The fix was around 8.5.12.  The 8.5.9 that come with Mac does not have
it.  Help | About Idle shows the tk version.

>> Ah, that might explain it. I don't have a system to test it on,
>> though. Definitely needs OS/Python version details.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> I have a Swedish keyboard which has a caret dead-key that works
> as Random832 describes.  Idle works perfectly well for me.
>
> There are a bunch of MacOS specific idle keyboard bugs.  I wonder
> if this is (possibly another) one of them.

Some are fixed in the upcoming releases because Mark Roseman is a Mac
user, tk expert, and now an IDLE contributor who submitted patches for
the Mac bugs that bugged him.  Mac bugs not on the tracker are unlikely
to be fixed, though.

--
Terry Jan Reedy