Python 3 virtualenvs

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Sun Nov 29 08:23:19 EST 2015

On 2015-11-29, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Sun, 29 Nov 2015 13:19:46 +0100, Lele Gaifax writes:
>>Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk> writes:
> No, Pyvenv is precisely what Daniele can not use.
> The problem is that venv does not come with a big sign saying
>
> ONLY FOR PYTHON 3.x
> ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT WORK FOR BUILDING 2.7 VIRTUALENVS
> USE virtualenv INSTEAD for Python 2.7
>
> ----
>
> which means you can waste a whole lot of time finding this out
> the hard way.

More specifically, "only for Python >= 3.4", because before that
it does not install pip, which makes it fairly useless.

In my experience the best thing to do is ignore pyvenv and ignore
Debian's package management for anything other than installing
the Python interpreter itself. Install pip by hand, then use that
to install virtualenv, then just use those to create virtualenvs
to run your stuff.

I don't know if, in future, pyvenv will be the way to go and
virtualenv will be deprecated, but either way we do not appear
to be there yet.