Find relative url in mixed text/html

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sat Nov 28 13:10:28 EST 2015

Rob Hills <rhills at medimorphosis.com.au> writes:
> Personally, I'd rather go with something based on a language I am
> reasonably familiar with (eg Python or Java) however it seems the vast
> bulk of Forum software is based on PHP :-(

It's certainly possible to write good software in PHP, so it's mostly
a matter of the design and implementation quality.

I was on a big PhpBB forum years ago and it got very slow as the
database got large, and there were multiple incidents of database
corruption.  The board eventually switched to VBB which was a lot
better.  VBB is the best one I know of but it's not FOSS.

I'm on another one right now which uses IPB (also not FOSS) and don't
like it much (too clever for its own good).

Another one is FluxBB which is nice and lightweight and FOSS, but it's a
small forum and the software might not be up to handling a bigger one.

Some people like Discourse.  I don't like it much myself, but that's
just me.

There's certainly plenty of cheap hosting available these days (or raw
VPS) that let you run Python or whatever else you want.  But it seems to
me that forum software is something of a ghetto.  I do think there is
some written in Python but I don't remember any specifics.