Python 3 virtualenvs

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Fri Nov 27 20:09:20 EST 2015

In a message of Sat, 28 Nov 2015 00:37:21 +0000, D.M. Procida writes:
>I have a new installation of Debian Jessie, with Python 2.7 and 3.4
>installed.
>
>I want to use Python 3.4 by default for most things, so I want
>virtualenv to create Python 3.4 virtualenvs unless I ask it to
>otherwise.
>
>It turns out that this seems to be inordinately complex.
>
>The best solution I have come up with is to alias virtualenv to
>'virtualenv -p python3.5', which seems really ugly and clunky.

This will get you python3.5 which I infinitely prefer over 3.4.
But you said you wanted to use 3.4 ...

>Then I discover things like
><http://askubuntu.com/questions/603935/pyvenv-vs-venv-vs-python-virtualenv-vs-virtualenv-and-python-3>
>and realise it's not just me, it really is a nasty mess and nobody seems
>to understand what's going on.
>
>Daniele

What I found out.
https://bugs.python.org/issue25151
https://bugs.python.org/issue25152
https://bugs.python.org/issue25154

pyenv is going away.  use python -m venv instead, if you want a
venv.  You will never (unless somebody does a backport, which seems
very unlikley) be able to get a venv with 2.7.

I've long ago aliased virtualenv to v, so things aren't as clunky
for me.

Laura