Help needed with compiling python

Kev Dwyer kevin.p.dwyer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 01:46:23 EST 2015

Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> On Thursday 26 Nov 2015 09:29 CET, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> I tried that. But it installs only things in /usr/lib and
>>> /usr/lib64, nothing in /usr/bin, but at the same time it is adamant
>>> that it installed python. I wanted a quick fix, but it looks like
>>> that is not going to work. :'-( I'll have to find a way to get
>>> things fixed.
>>>

>> On the assumption that you are more interested in fixing your broken
>> system than learning how to compile Python, what happens if you use
>> the Suse package manager to re-install Python?
>>
>> e.g. zypper python
>
> It installs things in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64, but nothing in
> /usr/bin. So it installs libraries, but not programs.
>

> By the way: I am of-course most interested to fix my system, but I
> would not mind to have python compiled also, so I (can) work with the
> latest stable version. ;-)

FWIW, I'm running OpenSuse 13.2 on a number of machines.  Pythons built
with make altinstall have the python executable placed in /usr/local/bin.

e.g.:

kev at pluto ~  which python3.5
/usr/local/bin/python3.5

kev at pluto ~  which python2.7
/usr/local/bin/python2.7

NB due to http://bugs.python.org/issue15631 I find I have to symlink
lib-dynload to get a working python:

kev at pluto ~  ls -l /usr/local/lib/python3.5/lib-dynload
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Sep 26 19:51 /usr/local/lib/python3.5/lib-dynload
-> /usr/local/lib64/python3.5/lib-dynload

Having said that, I'd still recommend that you follow everyone else's advice
and fix your system python/rebuild your OS.  Opensuse has not attempted to
install python 2.7.9 on any of my (fully patched) machines, so something is
wrong with your install, unless you're using Tumbleweed.

Cheers,

Kev