What is a function parameter =[] for?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Nov 26 23:56:40 EST 2015

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:40 pm, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > It's still not been expressed what “fake” refers to here. Or, rather,
> > what “real” thing was being expected, and how these don't qualify.
>
> They are faked in the sense that in this implementation, the object
> lifespan that you think of as the Python programmer has little if any
> connection to the actual lifespan of the chunk of memory representing
> that object.

Since that's nothing to do with the definition nor API of an object ID,
I think all the uses of “faked” so far in this thread just don't apply
to PyPy's object IDs.

> The PyPy implementation has to take special actions to preserve the ID
> across object recreations. That is what I mean by "faked".

Thanks for the interesting explanation. I don't think any of this makes
PyPy's object IDs in any sense not-real-object-IDs, so I disagree with
using “faked” to characterise them.

None of CPython, Jython, PyPy, etc. have object IDs that are anything
but real object IDs, IMO.

--
 \      “[Entrenched media corporations will] maintain the status quo, |
  `\       or die trying. Either is better than actually WORKING for a |