Late-binding of function defaults (was Re: What is a function parameter =[] for?)

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Thu Nov 26 09:40:15 EST 2015

On 26/11/2015 13:15, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:53 PM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> FWIW here is that list of features that are different between Python and my
>> language, or that work a different way, or that I think could be a useful
>> addition. (Although Python's internal workings make many impractical.)
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/JrVTher6
>>
>> This is not an attempt to compare the complete languages as they are for
>> different purposes (mine is more low-level, simpler, smaller and designed to
>> make it easier to create an efficient byte-code interpreter for it).
>
> "I think Python now has hex, octal and binary literals. X allows any
> base from 2 to 16: 2x10101 is binary, while 4x101 is quaternary (ie.
> 20)."
>
> Do you mean that 4x101 means 1*(4*4) + 0*(4) + 1? If so, it would be
> 17, not 20. Is this a typo in the document, or am I misunderstanding
> your syntax?

Just a mistake. The example had been 4x100 which is 16, but I changed it
to 4x101 for a bit less confusion, which as you say is 17 not 20 which
is 4x110.

(Although not used much, I have used quaternary here for example:

   4x3032_3233_2323

The digits represent the number of extra days more than 28 in each
month, from Jan to Dec.)

--
Bartc