Help needed with compiling python

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Thu Nov 26 01:55:51 EST 2015

On Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 23:39 CET, Zachary Ware wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> wrote:
>> My system python was all-ready damaged: that is why I wanted to
>> build myself.
>
> Then you should try to repair the system Python install via the
> system package manager. It's not worth the hassle to try to replace
> it; it almost certainly won't work for some strange corner case that
> won't bite you until 3 months from now. It's perfectly OK to have a
> second Python install in /usr/local, even of the same version as the
> system Python.

I tried that. It did install things in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64, but
nothing in /usr/bin. Thought to solve it this way, but I suppose I
have to delve deeper in it.

>> It is an openSUSE system. I installed the readline with:
>> zypper install readline-devel
>>
>> The strange thing is that it does mot compile anymore now. I get:
>> Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these
>> modules were not found: _bsddb _tkinter bsddb185 dbm dl gdbm
>> imageop sunaudiodev To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in
>> detect_modules() for the module's name.
>
> Before you installed readline-devel, readline would have been listed
> there as well. It's ok to have modules listed there if you don't

I did not look good the first time then, because I do not remember
having those messages.

But I still get:
    ImportError: No module named readline

--