Late-binding of function defaults (was Re: What is a function parameter =[] for?)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 25 14:57:17 EST 2015

Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> writes:

> The great sticking point for the children I am teaching is '*' means
> multiplication. […] that one can swap out a particular convention 'x
> means multiply' and swap in another one '* means multiply' while
> leaving the underlying truth unchanged.

Perhaps it would be easier if you point out that ‘x’ doesn't mean
multiply either, and they've *already* been substituting that symbol
instead of the correct ‘×’ for multiply.

--
 \     “Our task must be to free ourselves from our prison by widening |
  `\    our circle of compassion to embrace all humanity and the whole |