Late-binding of function defaults (was Re: What is a function parameter =[] for?)

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Nov 25 04:13:26 EST 2015

Op 25-11-15 om 09:32 schreef Chris Angelico:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Antoon Pardon
> <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>> What exactly is your point? People's confusions don't disappear
>> because you as an expert have a good understanding of what is
>> going on and so are no longer confused.
>>
>> Some aspects in the langauage are easily grasped and other
>> aspects tend to create confusion. I see nothing wrong with
>> people trying to point out what the cause of this confusion
>> could be. You arguing that people shouldn't be confused is
>> not helping.
> "Oh come on. It's basic arithmetic. You should be able to add 7 and
> 7... the result's 14!"
>
> "But it's so confusing. Why can't it be 16? It'd be more convenient
> for me if it were 16."
>
> "This is just how arithmetic works."
>
> "But it's still confusing!"
>
> At some point, you have to simply accept that this is how the system
> works.. or use a different system. (Octal maybe.) If you are
> perpetually confused by Python, you need to either learn how Python
> works, or use something else.

Those are not the only choices. The third option is that those at
the drawing board of python come to the conclusion that some aspect
of python is needlessly confusing and change the design.

I also find your comparison disingenous. The responses I see often
enough are not simply: this is how python works. They are often
enough something like: How can you find this confusing, you shouldn't.

If the regulars would answer more something like: Yes it can be confusing,
you are not the only one, but let me explain what is going on. and the
other would keep complaining about it being confusing, you would have
a point.

Instead the regulars all too often go on a tangent on how it shouldn't
be confusing or something similar and then they are surprised that
the exchange that follows isn't very fruitful.

--
Antoon Pardon