Returning a result from 3 items in a list

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Tue Nov 24 11:59:21 EST 2015

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 9:29:30 AM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 24/11/2015 14:07, Denis McMahon wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 02:04:56 -0800, Cai Gengyang wrote:
> >
> >> Here's a dictionary with 3 values :
> >>
> >> results = {
> >>    "gengyang": 14,
> >>    "ensheng": 13, "jordan": 12
> >> }
> >>
> >> How do I define a function that takes the last of the 3 items in that
> >> list and returns Jordan's results i.e. (12) ?
> >
> > You open a web browser and google for "python dictionary"
> >

> Ooh steady on old chap, surely you should have fitted the bib, done the
> spoon feeding and then changed the nappy?  That appears to me the
> preferred way of doing things nowadays on c.l.py, rather than bluntly
> telling people not to be so bloody lazy.

Mark and Denis, if you are having a hard time with newcomers to this list,
perhaps you need to find another list to read?

Yes, Cai Gengyang could do more research before asking questions.  But
your response does nothing to improve the situation.  It's just snark
and bile, and does not exemplify the Python community's culture.

> My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask
> what you can do for our language.

What you can do for our language is put a better foot forward.

--Ned.