tuples in conditional assignment (Ben Finney)

George Trojan george.trojan at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 24 11:40:23 EST 2015

Ben Finney writes:
> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>
> Date:
> 11/24/2015 04:49 AM
>
> To:
> python-list at python.org
>

> George Trojan<george.trojan at noaa.gov>  writes:
>
>> The following code has bitten me recently:

>> (0, 1) 9
> You can simplify this by taking assignment out of the picture::
>
>      >>> t = (0, 1)
>      >>> t if t else 8, 9
>      ((0, 1), 9)
>
> So that's an “expression list” containing a comma. The reference for
> expressions tells us::
>
>      An expression list containing at least one comma yields a tuple. The
>      length of the tuple is the number of expressions in the list.
>
>      <URL:https://docs.python.org/3/reference/expressions.html#expression-lists>
>
>> I was assuming that a comma has the highest order of evaluation
> You were? The operator precedence rules don't even mention comma as an
> operator, so why would you assume that?
>
>      <URL:https://docs.python.org/3/reference/expressions.html#operator-precedence>
What threw me  off was the right column in the table stating that
binding or tuple display has the highest precedence. Somewhere else
there is a statement that a comma makes a tuple, not the parentheses, so
the parentheses on the left did not register with me.

>> that is the expression 8, 9 should make a tuple. Why this is not the
>> case?
> I'm not sure why it's the case that you assumed that
>
> My practical advice: I don't bother trying to remember the complete
> operator precedence rules. My simplified precedence rules are:
>
> * ‘+’, ‘-’ have the same precedence.
> * ‘*’, ‘/’, ‘//’ have the same precedence.
> * For anything else: Use parentheses to explicitly declare the
>    precedence I want.
>
> Related: When an expression has enough clauses that it's not *completely
> obvious* what's going on, break it up by assigning some sub-parts to
> temporary well-chosen descriptive names (not ‘t’).
t was just to illustrate my problem, not the actual code. My lesson is
to use parentheses in all cases, maybe with an exception for an obvious
y, x = x, y. In my new C code I always write

if (a) {
     f();
}

instead of a valid 2-liner

if (a)
    f();

Too many times I added indented g() call, and since I do more Python
than C, the error was not glaringly obvious.

> -- \ “It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to |
> `\ persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” —Carl |
> _o__) Sagan | Ben Finney
George