Mapping between python packages and distro packages?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Nov 20 21:34:20 EST 2015

Stephane Wirtel <stephane at wirtel.be> writes:

> in fact, I would like to have a database where I want the requests
> library, I will get the python-requests for debian/ubuntu and the
> right package for the yum installer.

Okay. That's a pretty simple technical problem (a simple relation
between PyPI distribution name, GNU+Linux operating system name, and
package name).

Of course, *populating* that database, *verifying* the ambiguous inputs,
and *maintaining* that database into the future, are all social
problems. You'll probably need an organised group of people to address
it.

I'm not aware of any sufficiently motivated group of people to put in
the ongoing effort to provide what you want.

(Another social problem is convincing people not to top-post, but
instead to reply interleaved and trim irrelevant quoted material
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style>.)

--
 \       “Anyone who puts a small gloss on [a] fundamental technology, |
  `\          calls it proprietary, and then tries to keep others from |