What is a function parameter =[] for?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 19:59:48 EST 2015

On Nov 19, 2015 5:31 PM, "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> [Aside: there is some ambiguity here. If I say "a reference to B", I
> actually mean a reference to the object referenced to by B. I don't mean a
> reference to the *name* B. Python doesn't support that feature: names are
> not values in Python.]

Quoting BartC:

"""
if you write A=B then something of B needs to have been copied into A, even
if it's just the reference that B contains. Otherwise it would be difficult
to get A to refer to the same object as B.
"""

If you're trying to draw some distinction between what BartC wrote 17 posts
back and what you wrote here, I'm not seeing it.