Dabbling in web development

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Thu Nov 19 18:20:09 EST 2015

In a message of Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:09:01 +1100, Chris Angelico writes:
>On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
>> It is not the case that 'serious website developers use heavyweight
>> systems like Django' --- lots and lots of serious developers use
>> Flask or Bottle because Django makes you do it the Django way.
>> Flask lets you do it however you like.  Professionally, our company
>> has designed a ton of websites and we use Flask nearly all of the
>> time, and Pylons the rest of the time.  If your brain is well-suited
>> for Django, by all means use that, but if it is not, then do something
>> else.
>>
>> I teach kids who are 9-12 years old, weekends.
>> Hosting their own site to support pictures of their pets is a very
>> common thing to want to do.
>
>To add to the Flask recommendation: I teach adults (mostly; one of my
>students is in high school) to use Python, SQLAlchemy, and Flask,
>putting together a classic dynamic web site model. (I also use Flask
>myself for a couple of sites, and I like it; but that recommendation
>is weak because I don't have much experience with *other* frameworks.
>So all it means is "Flask hasn't majorly annoyed me".)
>
>ChrisA

Well, I highly recommend Flask, but the tutorial was for a
different microframework, 'Bottle'.

At the time I first collected the kids, it was a better tutorial.
Now, I suspect, there are lots of great ones for both of them.
But for me, the effort of translating any tutorial into Swedish
is huge.  Especially since I need to take a reputation hit with
every Swedish grammatical error my students find.  :)  The
students of 3 years ago have fixed my Swedish problems, mostly,
I think by now in this tutorial.

Being able to speak Swedish colloquially and read it does not
mean you can write or translate it well enough to get your product
past the hyper-critical eyes of 11-year-olds who want evidence
that this teacher, unlike so many others, can deliver the promised
goods. :)

Laura