Dabbling in web development

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Thu Nov 19 17:53:44 EST 2015

In a message of Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:53:09 -0800, bSneddon writes:

>I know there are a plethora of web frameworks out there for Python
 and to be serious about website developement I should learn on like
 Django.  Really thought, I just want to dabble and do some easy
 stuff.  Does anyone have any suggestons?  I have a a website hosted
 with a hosting company who is supposed to have python support but
 hard to know what they have installed on there apache server.  I have
 seen a few examples out there but not too many.

There are lots of other choices than Django.

see: https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks/

The big split is whether you want a large framework, like Django, which
comes with all the batteries included, or a micro framework, like
Flask and Bottle, which gives you more control and is a whole lot
simpler.

It is not the case that 'serious website developers use heavyweight
systems like Django' --- lots and lots of serious developers use
Flask or Bottle because Django makes you do it the Django way.
Flask lets you do it however you like.  Professionally, our company
has designed a ton of websites and we use Flask nearly all of the
time, and Pylons the rest of the time.  If your brain is well-suited
for Django, by all means use that, but if it is not, then do something
else.

I teach kids who are 9-12 years old, weekends.
Hosting their own site to support pictures of their pets is a very
common thing to want to do.

I have translated this:
http://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/tutorial.html

into Swedish and we tend to get a website up and running in 3 weekends
of thinking and coding.  (This is with kids who already know Python.
Learning enough python to do this takes longer, a whole lot longer
if you only get to code on weekends -- but most of the kids who want
to do this are also willing to write code on weekdays as well.)

Laura