How can I export data from a website and write the contents to a text file?

Patrick Hess patrickhess at gmx.net
Thu Nov 19 14:17:37 EST 2015

ryguy7272 wrote:
> text_file = open("C:/Users/rshuell001/Desktop/excel/Text1.txt", "wb")
> [...]
> It doesn't seem like the '\n' is doing anything useful.  All the text is jumbled together.
> [...]
> I finally got it working.  It's like this:
> "\r\n"

The better solution would be to open text files in actual text mode:

    open("filename", "wb")   # binary mode
    open("filename", "w")    # text mode

In text mode, the correct line-ending characters, which will vary
depending on the operating system, are chosen automatically.

    with open("test.txt", "w") as textfile:
        textfile.write("line 1\n")
        textfile.write("line 2")

This produces "line 1\nline 2" on Unix systems and "line 1\r\nline 2"
on Windows.

Also involves less typing this way. ;-)

Patrick