Trouble installing Python 3.5.0

Robert Ziomkowski acropolis7844 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 16:08:33 EST 2015

Hello,

I installed 3.5, "successfully" as the installer indicated, yet the program wouldn't run, with the following error message: "...failed to start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." I reinstalled, but no luck.

I noticed during installation that all the files were 64-bit (as my computer is), except one: the Launcher appears as 32-bit. Could that be the source of the problem? (The error occurs during launch, after all.) The installer I used is "python-3.5.0-amd64.exe" downloaded from Python.org directly. Could you have accidentally shipped the 32-bit Launcher with the 64-bit exe?

There was one other wrinkle. When I first installed Python 3.5, I accidentally installed the 32-bit version, because it is what came up when I pressed the big yellow button for 3.5 on your site (next to the other yellow button for Python 2.7.10). In a moment of forgetfulness I didn't check for the 64-bit version. Could this have messed things up? I uninstalled a couple times, so it should have cleared things up. But maybe not?

I found the 64-bit version later, but it was a bit hard to find. Why are you putting the 32-bit version out front and center, and not offering an option for the 64-bit right next to it?

Best wishes,
Robert Z.

P.S. I'm running Vista, so my PC is a bit old, but it is in fact 64-bit, and Python 3.2 still runs fine on it.