More tkinter Madness

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Sat Nov 14 03:14:09 EST 2015

Am 13.11.15 um 23:10 schrieb Tim Daneliuk:
> On 11/13/2015 03:30 PM, Christian Gollwitzer wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I get window and when I do this:
>>>
>>> pack [button .b -text Hello -command exit]
>>>
>>> Nothing appears.
>>
>> No error, nothing? Just to be sure, you haven't closed the empty
>> window, that appeared when you typed "wish"? and copied the command
>> into the wish prompt?
>>
>>> tkinter appears borked I have reinstalled once already, will try
>>> again
>>
>> This is using pure Tcl/Tk. If it is not working, reinstall the
>> corresponding packages in your distro. tkinter is merely the Python
>> interface to those.
>>
>> Christian
>
> Yep tcl/tk is the culprit, but reinstalling has not helped.

I am still not understanding, what actually happened. Does the wish
shell crash, does it simply exit, or hang? Is there no error message?

You can try if a different/newer version works for your setup. For
example, you could download a copy of a tclkit from here:

	http://tclkits.rkeene.org/fossil/wiki/Downloads

presumably the 8.6.3 version for RHEL5, and try if it runs a script like
this

# the next line should make an empty window appear
package require Tk
# this line should create the button in it
pack [button .b -text Hello -command exit]

If this does work, then installing Tcl/Tk from scratch (i.e. copmiling
yourself) might work.
(Unfortunately, you cannot make tkinter work with a Tclkit)

	Christian